- Identify major elements of computer system and their basic
- Hardware - (System unit, Screen, Keyboard, Mouse, Printer),
Software - (programs & data), People, Operating Procedures
- Know basic mouse usage
- mouse cursor & its movement, left, right & double
click, drag & drop
- Know basic keyboard usage
- usage of shift key to obtain lower/upper case letters, etc.,
backspace/delete, enter, caps lock, tab, control & alt keys.
Text cursor and usage of cursor movement keys including page
up/down, home/end. Switch languages. Demonstrate using Notepad.
- Operating system
- its function, name some, logging on/off windows machines in
labs. Running programs from Start button, desktop icons, explorer.
Switch between running programs using task bar.
- Window usage
- Anatomy. Manipulating windows, minimise/maximise, close,
resize. Scroll bars inside window. Menus (direct use &
short-cuts), speedbar, status bar.
- Storage media
- basic types and characteristics (hard/floppy disks, CDROM's,
RAM, tape) Usage of floppy disk. Backups.
- Storage organisation
- Devices/Files/Folders, naming & types.
- Usage of Windows Explorer
- format floppy disk, browse, create folder & file, rename,
run program, open data file for use, delete, move, copy. Selecting
multiple items using shift/control.
- Usage of file dialogs, navigation, creating new folders,
renaming, deleting, etc.
- Clipboard usage
- cut/copy/paste, via menu & shortcuts
- Getting help
- reading and understanding online documentation
- Basic ethics
- keep passwords secret, appreciate that hacking is immoral
& illegal, should be polite!