CS 421 Computer Networks, Fall '18
15:40-17:30 T, 13:40-15:30 F, EE05
Department of Computer Engineering (521 Engineering Building)
Office Hours: 15:40-17:30 Th (or if this is not
possible, by appointment from x1981)
Bulut Aygunes (427
Office Hours: 10:40-12:30 Th (or if this is not possible, by appointment from
Yarkin Deniz Cetin (427 Engineering
Office Hours: 13:40-15:30 M (or if this is not possible, by appointment from
CS 102 Algorithms and Programming II/CS 112 Introduction to Object-Oriented
Programming/CS 114 Introduction to Programming for Engineers and
MATH 230 Probability and Statistics for Engineers/MATH 250 Introduction to
Probability/MATH 255 Probability and Statistics.
J.F. Kurose and K.W. Ross, Computer
Networking, 5th edition, Addison Wesley, 2010.
- L.L. Peterson and B.S.Davie, Computer
Networks, 4th edition, Morgan Kaufman, 2007.
- A.S. Tanenbaum, Computer Networks, 4th edition,
- Wireshark: A
Network Protocol Analyzer
- Computer Networks and the Internet (Chapter 1 in
textbook: 1 week, slides)
- Application Layer (Chapter 2 in textbook: 3 weeks, slides)
- Transport Layer (Chapter 3 in textbook: 3 weeks, slides)
- The Network Layer (Chapter 4 in textbook: 4 weeks, slides)
- The Link Layer and Local Area Networks (Chapter 5 in
textbook: 3 weeks, slides)
due date for Computer Assignment 1 is Friday, October 26. You should do
the assignment individually and submit a printed report. Your report must
contain all the screenshots that you used in answering each question.
- Programming Assignment 1 is due on Friday,
November 16. Note that the assignment is to be submitted to Yarkın Deniz Çetin as an e-mail attachment by 11:59 pm
(midnight). Please pay attention to the submission guidelines.
- Homework Assignment 1 is due on Friday, November
23 by 5 pm. It serves to prepare you for the midterm on November 29.
- Programming Assignment 2 is due on Friday,
November 21. Note that the assignment is to be submitted to Bulut Aygüneş as
an e-mail attachment by 11:59 pm (midnight). Please pay attention to the
- Pop quizzes (25%)
- Midterm (25%) covers Chapters 1-3, Thursday November
29, 18:30-20:30, EB101-104,201-202
- Final (30%) comprehensive, covers Chapters 1-3, Chapter
4 (except 4.7), and Chapter 5 (except 5.7-5.8), Friday January 11,
In order to be able to take the final exam,
one must obtain an average of at least 40% from the quiz and
else one will receive FZ.
- Computer/Programming Assignments (18%) (Assignment 1, Assignment 2, Assignment 3)
- Homework (2%) (Assignment 1
solutions, Assignment 2)
Other information may be obtained from CS 421 Computer Networks.