CS515 - Reading
You are responsible from
mandatory reading items.
You are not responsible from further reading items, but I would suggest
reading them if you are interested in those topics.
- M. Weiser, The
Computer for the Twenty-First Century, Scientific American, Vol. 265,
No. 3, (September 1991), pp. 94-104.
- D. Cox, Wireless
Personal Communications: What is It?, IEEE Personal Communications
Magazine, (April 1995), pp. 20-35.
- H. Forman, J. Zahorjan, The Challenges of Mobile Computing,
IEEE Computer, V 27, N 4, (April 1994), pp. 38-47.
- T. La Porta et al., Challenges for Nomadic
Computing: Mobility Management and Wireless Communication, ACM/Baltzer
Journal of Mobile Networking and Applications, Vol. 1, No. 1, 1996.
- Chapter 1 and 2 of [TR2001].
- [TR2002] means Rappaport's book (see Textbooks section
on webpage) for which I put handouts in the library reserve section.
Further Reading (Optional)
Large-Scale Path Loss
- J. B. Andersen, T. S. Rappaport, S. Yoshida, Propagation Measurements and Models for
Wireless Communications Channels, IEEE Communications Magazine,
(January 1995), pp. 42-49.
- Chapter 4 of [TR2001]. The following sections:
4.1, 4.2, 4.4, 4.5.intro, 4.6, 4.7.intro, 4.8.intro, 4.9.intro, 4.9.1, 4.9.2,
4.10.intro, 4.10.3, 4.10.4, 4.11.intro, 4.11.1, 4.11.2, 4.11.3, 4.12.
Small-Scale Fading and Multipath
- Chapter 5 of [TR2001]. The
following sections: 5.intro, 5.1, 5.2, 5.3.1, 5.4.intro, 5.4.1, 5.4.2, 5.4.3,
5.5.intro, 5.5.1, 5.5.2, 5.6, 5.7.3
Chapter 6 of [TR2001].
The following sections: 6.intro, 6.1, 6.2, 6.2.3, 6.3, 6.3.2, 6.3.3 (slope
detector), 6.4, 6.4.1, 6.4.2., 6.8, 6.8.1, 6.8.3, 6.9, 6.9.1 , 6.11.intro,
6.11.1, 6.11.2, 6.11.3.
Wireless Media Access
- Chapter 9 of
TR2001]. The following sections: 9.1, 9.1.1, 9.2, 9.3, 9.4.intro, 9.4.1,
9.4.2, 9.4.3, 9.6.intro, 9.6.1, 188.8.131.52 (not 184.108.40.206), 9.6.2.
- D. D. Falconer, F. Adachi, B. Gudmundson, Time Division Multiple Access Methods for
Wireless Personal Communications, IEEE Communications Magazine,
(January 1995), pp. 50-57. (first 2 pages).
- P. Karn, MACA - A New
Channel Access Method for Packet Radio. Appeared in the proceedings of
the 9th ARRL Computer Networking Conference, London, Ontario, Canada, 1990
(not included in the midterm).
- B. P. Crow et al., Investigation of the IEEE 802.11 Medium Access Control
(MAC) Sublayer Functions, Infocom, 1997.
- R. Kohno, R. Meidan, L. B. Milstein, Spread Spectrum Access Methods for
Wireless Communications, IEEE Communications Magazine,
(January 1995), pp. 58-67
- Jost Weinmiller et al., Performance Study of
Access Control in Wireless LANs IEEE 802.11 DFWMAC and ETSI RES 10 HIPERLAN, Mobile
Networks and Applications, 1997
- V. Bharghavan et al., MACAW: A Media Access Protocol for Wireless LANs,
ACM SIGCOM Conference, 1994.
- K-C Chen, Medium Access Control of Wireless LANs for Mobile
Computing, IEEE Network Magazine, (September/October 1994), pp. 50-63.
Routing and Handoff in Mobile Networks
editor. RFC 2002: IP mobility support, Internet Engineering Task Force,
Network Working Group, October 1996.
- S. Tekinay and B. Jabbari, Handover and Channel Assignment in
Mobile Cellular Networks, IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 29, No.
11, (November 1991), pp. 42 - 46.
- R. Caceres and V. Padmanabhan, Fast and Scalable Handoffs in Support
of Mobile Internet Audio, ACM Mobile Networking and Applications (MONET),
- M. Stemm and R. Katz, Vertical
Handoffs in Wireless Overlay Networks, by M. Stemm and R. Katz, ACM Mobile
Networking (MONET), Special Issue on Mobile Networking in the Internet, Summer 1998.
- J. Ioannidis, D. Duchamp, G. Maguire, Jr, IP-based Protocols for Mobile Internetworking,
Proc. SIGCOMM '91, pp. 235 - 245.
- Andrew T. Champbell et al., Design, Implementation and Evaluation of
Cellular IP, IEEE Personal Communications, August 2000.
- A. Miu, Paramvir Bahl, Dynamic Host Configuration for Managing Mobility
between Public and Private Networks, Proc. of the Third Annual USENIX
Symposium on Internet Technologies and Systems (USITS), March 2001.
- , , , , and ,
Comparison of IP micromobility protocols, IEEE Wireless Communications, vol. 9, no. 1, February 2002 pp. 72-82
- R. Want, B. Schilit, N. Adams, R. Gold, K. Petersen, D. Goldberg, J.
Ellis, M. Weiser, An Overview of the ParcTab
Ubiquitous Computing Experiment, IEEE Personal Communications, V. 2,
N. 6, (December 1995), pp. 28 - 43.
- [TR2001, pp.]
- R. Steele, et al, System
Aspects of Cellular Radio, IEEE Communications Magazine, pp. 80-86,
- J. Padgett, C. Gunther, and T. Hattori, Overview of Wireless Personal
Communications, IEEE Communications Magazine, pp. 28-41, January
and , "An
overview of third-generation wireless personal communications: A European perspective", IEEE Personal Communications, vol. 5, no. 6, December 1998 pp. 59-65
- M. Rahnema, Overview
of the GSM System and Protocol Architecture, IEEE Communications Magazine,
(April 1993), pp. 92-100.
- M. Zeng, A. Annamalai, and V. Bhargava, Recent Advances in Cellular Wireless
Communications, IEEE Communications Magazine, pp. 128-138, September
- A. DeSimone, S. Nanda, Wireless
Data: Systems, Standards, Services, ACM Wireless Networks, V. 1, N. 3,
(October 1995), pp. 241
and , MOBITEX and Mobile Data Standards, IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 33, no. 3, March 1995 pp. 96-101
- Jain Cai and Goodman, D.J. General
packet radio service in GSM, IEEE Communications Magazine, vol.35,
(no.10), Oct. 1997. p. 122-131.
- , Packet
Data Over Cellular Networks: The CDPD Approach, IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 37,
no. 6, June 1999 pp. 152-159
- K. W. Richardson. UMTS
Overview. Electronics and Communication Engineering Journal. June 2000.
(A very good overview paper).
Mat Nilson, "Third
Generation Radio Access Standards," Ericsson Review.
Power and Wireless
- David Goodman, Narayan Mandayam, Power Control for Wireless Data,
IEEE Personal Communications, April 2000.
- Robin Kravets and P. Krishnan, Application-Driven Power Management for
Mobile Communication, ACM/URSI/Baltzer Wireless Networks (WINET) special
issue of Best Papers from MobiCom'98.
- Pravin Bhagwat, Chatschik Bisdikian, Ibrahim Korpeoglu, Arvind
Krishna, Mahmoud Naghshineh, System
design issues for low-power, low-cost, short range wireless networking. IEEE
International Conference on Personal Wireless Communications (ICPWC ), 1999.
- R. Kravets, P. Krishnanm Power
Management Techniques for Mobile Communication, Mobicom Conference, 1998.
Wireless Local Area Networks
- N. Adams, R. Gold, B. Schilit, M. Tso, R. Want, An Infrared Network for
Mobile Computers, Proc. Usenix Symposium on Mobile and
Location-Independent Computing, Summer 1993, (Cambridge, MA), pp. 41-51.
- J. Condon, T. Duff, M. Juki, C. Kalmanek, B. Locanthi, J. Savicki,
J. Venutolo, "Rednet: A Wireless ATM
Local Area Network using InfraRed Links, ACM Mobicom'95, (November
1995), Berkeley, CA, pp. 151-159.
- K. Pahlavan, T. Probert, M. Chase, Trends
in Local Wireless Networks, IEEE Communications Magazine, (March
1995), pp. 88-95.
- Richard LaMaire, Arvind Krishna, Pravin Bhagwat, James Panian, Wireless LANs and Mobile Networking: Standards and
Future Directions. IEEE Communications Magazine, vol 34(8), August
- B. Crow, I. Widjaja, J. Kim, P. Sakai, IEEE
802.11 Wireless Local Area Networks, IEEE Communications Magazine,
Volume: 35 Issue: 9 , Sept. 1997.
, , , and , A Comparison of the HIPERLAN/2 and IEEE 802.11a Wireless LAN Standards, IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 40, no. 5, May 2002.
- K. Pahlavan, Wireless Intraoffice Networks, ACM
Transactions on Office Information Systems," V. 6, N. 3, (July 1988), pp.
- D. F. Bantz, F. J. Bauchot, Wireless LAN Design Alternatives,
IEEE Network, (March/April 1994), pp. 43-53.
Packet Radio Networks
- B. M. Leiner, D. L. Nielson, F. A. Tobagi, Issues in Packet
Radio Network Design, Proceedings IEEE, (January 1987), V 75, N 1, pp. 6 -
- J. Jubin, J. D. Tornow, The DARPA Packet Radio Network
Protocols, Proceedings of the IEEE, V. 75, N. 1, (January 1987), pp.
- R. E. Kahn, et. al, Advances in Packet Radio Technology,
Proceedings IEEE, V. 66, N. 11, (November 1978), pp. 1468-1496.
Ad-Hoc Networks and Routing
- D. Johnson and D. Maltz , Dynamic
Source Routing in Ad Hoc Wireless Networks. In Mobile
Computing, edited by Tomasz Imielinski and Hank Korth, Chapter 5, pages 153-181,
Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1996.
- J. Broch, D. Maltz, D. Johnson, Y. Hu, and J. Jetcheva. A Performance Comparison
of Multi-Hop Wireless Ad Hoc Network Routing Protocols, Proceedings of
the Fourth Annual ACM/IEEE International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking
(MobiCom'98) , 1998.
- E. Royer, C-K Toh, A
Review of Current Routing Protocols for Ad-Hoc Mobile Wireless Networks. IEEE
Personal Communications Magazine, April 1999, pp. 46-55.
- S. Lee et al, A
Performance Comparison Study ofAd Hoc Wireless Multicast Protocols, Infocom,
Transport Protocols over Wireless
- R. Caceres, L. Iftode, Improving
the Performance of Reliable Transport Protocols in Mobile Computing Environments,
IEEE J. Selected Areas of Communications, V 13, N 5, (June1995), pp. 850-857.
- H. Balakrishnan, S. Seshan, R. H. Katz, Improving Reliable Transport and Handoff
Performance in Cellular Wireless Networks, ACM Wireless Networks, V 1,
N 4, (December 1995), pp. 469-482.
- H. Balakrishnan et al, A Comparison of Mechanisms for Improving TCP
Performance over Wireless Links, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking,
- Christina Parsa, J.J Garcia-Luna-Aceves, Improving TCP Performance over
Wireless Networks at the Link Layer, Mobile Networks and Applications,
- H. Balakrishnan et al., The
Effect of Asymmetry on TCP Performance, ACM Mobile Networks and
Applications (MONET) Journal, Vol. 4, No. 3, 1999.
- George Xylomenos and George C. Polyzos, TCP and UDP Performance over a Wireless LAN,
Proceedings of the IEEE INFOCOM 99 Conference, pp.439-446.
- A. Bakre, B. R. Badrinath, I-TCP:
Indirect TCP for Mobile Hosts, In Proceedings of the 15th
International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS), May 1995.
- K. Brown and S. Singh, M-TCP: TCP for Mobile Cellular Networks,
ACM CCR, 1997.
- K. Brown and S. Singh, M-UDP: UDP
for Mobile Cellular Networks, ACM CCR, 1996.
Quality of Service (QoS) in Mobile Wireless
- S. Singh, Quality
of Service Guarantees in Mobile Computing, J. Computer
Communications, Vol. 19, pp. 359-371, 1996.
- K. Seal, S. Singh., Loss Profiles, A Quality of Service Measure
in Mobile Computing, Journal of Wireless Networks, Vol. 2, 1996.
- S. Lu et al., Fair Scheduling in Wireless Packet Networks,
by S. Lu et al., ACM SIGCOMM '97.
- S. Singh, Quality of Service Guarantees in Mobile Computing,
Journal of Computer Communications.
- George Xylomenos and George C. Polyzos, Link Layer Support for Quality of Service
on Wireless Internet Links, IEEE Personal Communications, Volume 6,
Number 5, 1999, pp. 52-60.
- M. Naghshineh and A. Acampora, QoS Provisioning in Micro-Cellular
Networks Supporting Multiple Classes of Traffic, Journal of Wireless
Networks, No. 2, 1996.
- M. Naghshineh and M. Schwartz, Distributed Call Admission
Control in Mobile/Wireless Networks, IEEE JSAC issue on Wireless Local
Communications, May 1996.
- J. Haartsen. BLUETOOTH
The Universal Radio Interface for ad hoc, wireless connectivity.
Ericsson Review No. 3. 1998. Pages 110-117.
- , The Bluetooth radio system, IEEE Personal Communications, vol. 7,
no. 1, February 2000 pp. 28-36
- Jaap Haarsten, Mahmoud Naghshineh, Jon Inouye, Olaf Joeressen and
Warren Allen. Bluetooth: Vision, Goals and
Architecture, Mobile Computing and Communications Review. ACM SIGMOBILE,
Vol.2, No. 4, Oct. 1998.
and , HomeRF: Wireless
networking for the connected home, IEEE Personal Communications, vol. 7,
no. 1, February 2000 pp. 20-27
- Bisdikian et al., An Overview of Bluetooth Technology,
IEEE Communications Magazine, 2001.
- WAP Forum, Wireless
Application Protocol WAP 2.0 Technical White Paper, January 2002.
- Patel and Dennett, The 3GPP and 3GPP2 Movements Toward an All-IP Mobile Network,
IEEE Personal Communications, August 2000.
- Ramachandran Ramjee, Thomas
F. La Porta, Luca Salgarelli, Sandra Thuel, Kannan Varadhan, and Li Li, IP-Based Access Network
Infrastructure for Next-Generation Wireless Data Networks, (Hawaii Paper), IEEE
Personal Communications special issue on IP-based Mobile Telecommunications Networks,
- McCann, P.J.; Hiller, T., An Internet Infrastructure for cellular CDMA networks
using mobile IP, IEEE Personal
Communications special issue on IP-based Mobile Telecommunications Networks, August
- Todd D. Hodes, Randy H. Katz, Edouard Servan-Schreiber and Lawrence
Rowe, Composable Ad-Hoc Mobile Services for
Universal Interaction, Proceedings of the third annual ACM/IEEE
international conference on Mobile computing and networking, September 26 - 30, 1997,
- Microsoft Corporation, Universal Plug and Play
Device Architecture Reference Specification, Version 1.0, Microsoft
A., N. Davies and E. Catterall. Supporting
Service Discovery, Querying and Interaction in Ubiquitous Computing Environments.
Proceedings of MobiDE, 2001, Santa Barbara, US. May 2001
- J. Veizades et al, Service
Location Protocol, RFC 2165, IETF, June 1997.
- W. Adjie-Winoto, E. Schwartz, H. Balakrishnan, and J. Lilley. The Design and Implementation of an Intentional
Naming System. In 17th ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles
(SOSP), Kiawah Island, SC, December 1999.
- Christian Bettstetter and Christoph Renner, A Comparison of Service Discovery Protocols and
Implementation of the Service Location Protocol, In Proceedings Sixth EUNICE
Open European Summer School: Innovative Internet Applications, 2000.
- , , and ,
A Survey on Sensor Networks, IEEE Communications Magazine,
vol. 40, no. 8, August 2002
- , and , Sensor information networking architecture and applications, IEEE Personal Communications, vol. 8, no. 4, August 2001 pp. 52-59
- , , and , Protocols for self-organization of a wireless sensor network, IEEE Personal Communications, vol. 7, no. 5, October 2000 pp. 16-27
Please send any suggestions or corrections on the reading
list to firstname.lastname@example.org.